Wednesday, March 21

Being young isn't all it's cracked up to be, just to let you know.

It's not so much that I hate being young, I just hate not being able to easily experience some of the things that older people experienced as a part of their daily life.

Don't get me wrong, I love modern technology as much as the next person. But I hate how quickly things change. These days book covers change between printings, regardless of if the printings are only a couple of months apart from each other. It's ridiculous and if the second printing has a cooler cover I am eternally angry and jealous.

Also, whose hair brained idea was it to change classic book covers? Like Tom Wolfe's novels, who decided that it would be a good idea to go from his graphically awesome and colorful covers to the bland and wordy covers of today?

I judge books by covers. And I'm serious, I think a lot of the book can be determined by it's cover and I despise the saying "Never judge a book by it's cover." Sure, it has good intentions, but as "Devil's Playground" taught me; "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Also, people are so fucking money hungry. It's sickening. If I want to be cool and get Tom Wolfe books with the good cover, I'd have to shell out over 50 bucks. I just don't ever see myself being able to willingly spend that much money on a book, especially when I can get it for 10.

I think I'm going to start a petition and create a law that says you cannot change the original cover of novels. Besides, the cover was chosen for a reason, there was meaning behind it and there was obviously some connection between the mood of everyone involved, the interpretation of the novel and the artists.

Not only that, the genre that Tom Wolfe, Hunter S. Thompson, Norman Mailer, Robert Xgau, etc specialize in depends greatly on the time it was written, the place and the experience. All of which is conveyed directly through the cover.

To end this rant, by changing the cover the editors are taking part of the writers work and throwing it in the trash. And I'd like to extend a big fuck you to the editors.

Also, what happened to records? Venal? Ring a bell, anyone?

As the days go by I seriously consider selling out more and more just so I can buy all the cool things I want. Then I'd probably fuck over who ever I sold out to to get out of my contract. Then all the independent places would be saying "Whoa, that's sweet. Sticking it to the (wo)man." And I'd get mad job offers.

Except. All the first editions and venal records couldn't let me sleep at night. And not because I'd be reading and listening to them. But because selling out doesn't seem like fun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger XEssere said...

You're right, but about that law -

What if the author felt they just didn't get it right the first time?

It sucks to sell out, but on the other hand, people have got to earn a living. And if someone's willing to pay, then why not charge?

xs

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home