Sunday, November 19

It's not what I promised, but it's a step in the right direction...

OK, so, this is nothing on what I promised, but who are you to judge!


Last night I was watching Gilmore Girls, and I guess I was in a dorky mood, but I caught on to a lot of their more subtle references. (which happens to be the reason why I enjoy the show.)

In the Episode where Sheila has the baby and Lorelai (wow, my spelling is atrocious!) reminisces about Rory's birth. When Lorelai goes to the hospital to have Rory, after she turns in her paper work, she listens to "99 Luft Balloons" by Nena Hagen.

This both shows the time period, "99 Luft Balloons" was popular in the early to mid 80's, or around the time when Rory was born.

However, the song is about a third world war that is brought upon by a child's toy. When Lorelai became pregnant, her family and Christopher's started this huge battle, which is still yet to be solved, 22 plus years later.

Lorelai is also wearing red, the English version of the song is "99 Red Balloons."

And finally, at the end of the song, Nena sings,
99 dreams I have had In every one a red balloon
It's all over and I'm standing pretty
In this dust that was a city
If I could find a souvenir
Just to prove the world was here
And here is a red balloon
I think of you, and let it go
Lorelai's life before Rory was her dream, after she gives birth to Rory,
she knows that her dreams are over. So she thinks of "you"
(or Christopher) and lets go of her dreams.

More to come. It's a different episode and a complex, maybe reoccuring
is a better word, in the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home